I have an opportunity not often available to me in my line of work and life right now. That is I have a great deal of "down time" coming up, amounting to about a week and thought it would be a glorious time to cap off the inner season with some serious thought, journaling and work. I came up with the idea of a Balance Cleanse because it became apparent to me during a recent astrological consult that my suspicions about where balance is needed in my life are right on. I know myself quite well, despite my specific propensity for hiding truth behind great stories and a somewhat self-deceptive nature LOL. I have learned to manage this trait quite well in my life, sometimes to the point of fault, actually. I also decided to undertake the experience because, frankly, I have not been feeling well for some time now, probably since the holidays. One nagging physical ailment after another that I have kept chalking up to training, tweeking, not stretching enough, just getting old LOL...
This all came to a head this week though when my back continually would become so stiff and tight that after sitting for even a brief time it took me standing in slow motion to be able to straighten my spine and walk correctly. Thankfully I had fashioned that stand-up desk at work so much of my week has been spent there.
But, to digress a bit for purposes of clarification - I rate back pain with a pretty big stick. I've had multiple ruptured discs and a surgery already so when I say my back hurts....well, it probably hurts worse than average. The pain has now radiated elsewhere and beyond that, my muscles seem to be simply spent from the mere act of carrying a laundry basket up the stars. This.Is.Annoying. So, I have a doctor's appointment scheduled but I hold out little hope for our Westernized medical community anyway and figure some self healing can't hurt.
The physical ailments are also a real bother because I actually recently decided that the physical manifestation of me needed a break from the front seat of my waking hours. So, having done that, I get all kinds of physical issues popping up. LOL. But, I have also done some creative self care and exploration this season. A caffeine detox, joining an herbal group, astrological consult. The detox was successful, the herbal group is a blast and the consult revealed loads of useful information.
And in that information is still the need for balance, despite these aches and pains. Balance between mind, body, spirit and self care. Having deemed 2013 the Year of Loving Thyself, LOL, I forge ahead. So, the BC includes:
1. Daily Meditation - doesn't matter how long or short but at some point during the day, the lights go out, a quiet spot is found and I meditate. I sometimes meditate with just music but for this cleanse I decided on guided meds - using a combination of the old Meditation Oasis app stuff as well as a couple of new ones I found recently. My new favorite turns out to be one called - Love Your Body, Love Yourself. It is around 40 minutes long.
2. No TV. This very much pains me for the Walking Dead is to premier! LOL. So, I will allow myself that one guilty pleasure, no, I mean oxygen-like substance, but other than Sunday night I'll suck it up and watch no tube during this time period. I am not one of those people who is against TV. I just want it to be as if I was really somewhere else, at a retreat of sorts...
3. To further foster this - I changed my perspective at home. I took up residence in our guest room. The dog and black cat have taken up residence with me. Actually THEY have taken up the whole bed. But, it is a lovely little cozy room without a TV and a queen sized bed where I can read, write, and have a slumber party with them so long as I secure my space before they sprawl. Again, I wanted to break out of routine and while our bedroom is easily my favorite room in the house, I just needed to change my perspective. Besides, the 3D Smart TV is just too much temptation.
4. I'm taking a whole week off from any sort of structured physical exercise. Instead - muck, walk the dog if the weather allows, yoga & stretching and I may take a trail run if the mood strikes me and it is warm enough, which it actually is supposed to be at some point. I do think my body needs a break and perhaps the current nagging injuries are proof of that.
5. Dream Journal is at hand for writing upon waking.
6. Modified meals and food prep - this is always my struggle as I am SO lazy about fixing food. Like, SO lazy. Unbelievably lazy. Sam fixes a lot of great and good for you food but I feel like my body deserves to depend on me and not the kindness of my mate. LOL. Like, I should take care of her in other ways than strictly training, right? So, since the Farmer's Market is just around the corner I am concentrating on working my way into the season with more fruit, salads, getting my hands dirty so to speak with baking bread and actually prepping, er, real food. Yah JERF. This is a continual struggle for me as it is for many.
This is my Big At-Home Retreat and I am posting the daily diary of sorts in the Wellness Blog so read on! If you are new to the site - go to the Living Well tab and the Blog is in the pulldown menu.