Sometime during my latest binge watching, falling in love with, etc. etc. of Vikings I became certain that I must have Viking blood. I mean, they seem so angry and pale all the time...
Anyway. WOW. Not sure how I missed this one. Well, hell, sure I am sure. I had a bunch of other sh&t going on (also known as ho hum my life is blah and I don't even have the energy to search out my most beloved hobby, which is of course, escaping from....life). So, I'm in catch-up mode here.
This damn show just had me from the beginning. There was no "oh Ep 1 was OK, I guess I'll give it a try" and then becoming engrossed eventually. It was wham bam and thank you very much sir now who are we going to rob, seek retribution for and whack with a battle axe next?
I have contemplated also the fact that the level of angst, political mayhem, betrayal and general mistrust of the human race in this show is really no different than a modern day drama. However, for me it is blown over the top of my addiction to early history (aka - horses, battles, nature, magic, guys with long hair and in this case even tattoos). Yes, I'm shallow with my entertainment needs. Please grant me that. I mean at least I'm a deeper person in real life. No, really I am, I swear!
So, while plenty of self discussions do occur to me while watching this show and they involve questions of morality and loyalty and human nature in general, lots of other things occur to me as well. Things like:
- Does Ragnar ever bathe? Does anyone ever bathe for that matter? The jumping in the hot pool with Ecbert doesn't count because that was under pressure of diplomacy. Bathing fascinates me in historical dramas and zombie apocalypses. I'm fairly practical and it just doesn't seem likely...
- Shouldn't you stop fornicating with someone that keeps having creepy prophecies that involve unfortunate birth defects in children in an era not capable to cope. That bitch is bad news. And she totally seduced you, ya damn moron, in the first place. Plus she is spoiled and always complaining. Totally annoying.
- Does Athlestan strike anyone else as the biggest "whichever god(s) is/are convenient" woose on the planet? Quit fucking whining and make up your mind, dude.
- As if it wasn't obvious enough, did everyone else have the same compulsion as I did to actually look up "blood eagle" after that episode?
- Lagertha. New favorite female character EVER?....
- The Lord's Prayer, Siggy, Floki, conspiracy and betrayal... DID.NOT.SEE.THAT.END.COMING. :)
- Related.... god, concussion much???
So, now it would appear that for the most horrible month of any year (that would be February, when you are so sick of snow that you swear like you do every year you will seriously look for employment in Florida as soon as the world thaws) I have not one but two shows to keep me entertained. For this, I am greatly thankful. I shall look to sacrifice a stuffed animal or something...
Escaping reality - one movie, book, fantasy at a time :)